We are looking for junior to mid-level software developers as either contractors or employees — capable, independent team players.
Ideal for juniors who have just finished their studies and are eager to gain experience working in a supportive environment on live software with thousands of users, or mid-level individuals who would like to branch out, be part of interesting and meaningful projects, and/or work remotely for themselves. Not suitable for seniors with a lifetime of experience looking to manage large teams for a larger salary.
Exposure to any of these an advantage, but not essential:
- Hardware: Hobby electronics, microcontrollers, creating custom game controllers, digital fabrication, etc.
- Tools: Git, Agile, 3D Modelling, Animation, Graphics editing, Media production, etc.
- Other: Some teaching (children and adults), presentations.
- Misc: Permaculture. Programming applied to other disciplines in interesting ways.
A contractor agreement would be ideal, though we are open to permanent full-time or half-time employment if the candidate prefers. Work hours potentially very flexible, but assisting at events (sometimes on Saturdays) could be necessary. A completely-remote work arrangement would be the longer-term goal.
Qualities and work ethic
- Serious attention to detail, takes pride in quality code.
- Curioser and curioser, loves to learn and understand, and is very teachable. Enjoys programming, challenges, creative applications of code and clever solutions.
- Independent, takes ownership. Reliable, can be trusted to get the job done. Organised and punctual.
- High-level systems thinker, who can translate ideas to low-level details, and build a solid product.
- Playful. Flexible.
- Professional. Respectful. Has integrity. Clear communicator.
- Ambitious and creative, but follows instructions.
- Cultivates an edifying work culture. Positive, grateful attitude and vibes. :D
Experience / Education
A BSc Comp Sci or similar, or comparable experience. But will consider applicants with less experience if they're convincing and a good fit.
Pay commensurate with the arrangement, education and/or experience. Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience, would mean from R16 000 to R25 000 per month, and more for more and less for less. Contractor arrangement would be a similar equivalent, based on an hourly rate.
Strand, Western Cape, quickly moving towards mostly remote.
If you have not received any correspondence within a week of your application you have been unsuccessful, as only short-listed candidates are contacted.