WeCode24 is a coding programme designed to inspire a hacker culture of curiosity, creativity and agency among South African youth.
This is a mid-level graphic designer role, responsible for the visual design of WeCode24. We are looking for creative and expressive design that will be appealing to a South African youth audience, while maintaining our unique creative vision.
Responsibilities and duties
- Visual design for communication materials ranging from regular issues of a learning magazine, to physical merch (badges, stickers, t-shirts, etc.), websites, logos, signage, reports, ads, social media and more.
- Create designs that balance clear communication of step by step learning instruction with expressive design.
- Execute design briefs, taking direction from a creative lead.
- Regularly produce draft designs and present these for review.
- Assist with usability- and user experience testing.
- Manage your time, work to deadlines.
Skills, experience, education
- Minimum: Diploma in graphic design with 2 years of solid experience.
- Experience with the publication process: Working with printers, preparation and delivery of files in appropriate formats.
- Strong understanding of the essentials of design for clear communication.
- Proficient in Adobe CC Suite: Excellent Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign skills.
- Excellent English copywriting skills are an advantage, and being multilingual is as well — Afrikaans and/or Xhosa specifically.
- Video editing, motion graphics, illustration and/or animation skills are an advantage.
- Familiarity with comics, anime, science fiction, cyberpunk etc. is an advantage.
Qualities and work ethic
- Comfortable operating in a startup culture as an integral part of a team.
- Flexible, can take creative feedback constructively.
- Detailed, delivers high quality work.
- Clear communicator.
- Positive attitude, cultivates an edifying work culture.
Permanent full time; A three month probation.
From R16 000 to R24 000 per month, commensurate with the candidate's skills and experience.
Firgrove, Somerset West.
Email email@example.com with your application and portfolio, or a link to it. If you have not received any correspondence within a week of your application you have been unsuccessful, as only short-listed candidates are contacted.